Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ben-Hur

You must be logged onto CTools to view this video




I chose this video clip to illustrate how brutal slave punishments can be. What I found very powerdul about this clip was that two men looked on emotionally as three slaves were crusified. This scene shows the pain and suffering that slaves felt as they watched another slave be punished. Also, watching a man be crusified brought emotional suffering equal to a slave being split from their family, since it generally always meant that they would never see them again.

1 comment:

  1. hi Marty,
    I liked this clip very much. I am not sure how much it has to do with slave societies. In any case, I am concerned that you are not doing enough reading. I would like to see maybe Spartacus and then you could link your post to the Wiley online book on Spartacus. There is a chapter there on Roman slavery:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.proxy.lib.umich.edu/doi/10.1002/9780470776605.ch8/pdf
    YOu can get this through mlib.
    Maybe you can do a youtube clip instead?
    keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete